Saturday, June 5, 2010

Thoughts on “Sacred Folk”

Why Folk Art?
I still think of folk art as “low art”. It is simple, humble, and raw. There is always something a little “off” about it. Unfinished lines, skewed angles. It is the art of peasants and third-graders. It is about visual simplicity- not in any spatial way- but in that it is the most pedantic of artistic expressions.

And that’s what I love about it. I want there to be something “off” in my art too. Something that makes the viewer a little uncomfortable because the lines are not straight and the colors overlap. I want my art to be childlike and cartoon-y- (hence the references to pop art and Byzantine iconography)- because I feel that is the best way for me to discuss serious things.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. What do you think the impact of a Western view of art (art for art's sake, etc.) is on "folk art"?

    ReplyDelete