Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Social Justice

This painting was recently accepted into the Annual Art and Social Justice Exhibition in South Bend. It will be my first juried show. I am pretty excited about that. "Il veulent du pain" means "they want bread". I wanted to create a work that commented on food- addressing who controls the availability of food- and who is in need. I also wanted to address The Church; specifically- considering access to the eucharist- and in essence to salvation. Two types of hunger- two types of justice. voila. I used a St. Sebastian figure as an archytype. he could represent the Church as the aggressor- or as the victim. He could represent the poverty afflicted or the controlling elite. I didn't paint this so much to make a statement about any one thing- but rather to explore ideas.

from the collection of Michael Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment